Saturday, October 8, 2011

That Ol' Knot Is Back

By that, I mean the knot in my stomach. Yes, this isn't an update on my writing so much as a personal rant/seeking advice. I have a lot of things on my plate that are worrying my at present. I mean, really. I'm still searching for a job--although I totally just applied for a Tech Writing job that I am oh-so qualified for. And I need money. Now.

Enter the desperation. Now, I'm not "selling illegal stuff" desperate or "selling an organ I'm still using" desperate, but I'm pretty bad off. I've applied and applied, and barely got a nibble. I'm tired of not bringing in any cash. I mean, don't get me wrong, most of the stories I've submitted and got accepted have a payment attached, but these are short stories. They don't pay much, and they only pay when they're in print/online. And I know what some might think: "Well, just finish the any number of longer works you're working on." Yeah, well, I kind of need money to do that. Can't write if I don't have a place to write in.

But let me get to the seeking advice part of this blog. I stumbled across Hubpages.com and I've done a little research. They're legit. However, I don't know if doing this would be a waste of my time. Do I sign up and go for it, or what? I think I might just.

Anyhow, my point is thus: I'm a college graduate with a BS in English (haha, I know). I've been working in the independent publishing (fiction) game practically since I left UNA's doors. I have library experience, as well as experience dealing with massive amounts of teens at once. I can write like nobody's business. Wanna know what I'm not good at? Job hunting. I could use some help there. I don't want to work in fast food--or food at all, if I can help it. Not because I think I'm "above it," but because I think I'd be the worker that everyone would mutter, "Are you freakin' serious? She messed up that?" in those situations. I'm not a terribly confident person sometimes, so I'm not sure I can handle that. But there are 9 to 5 jobs I'm pretty sure I could do. Retail, for example. Why the hell can't someone just hire me? I feel like I've gone in the same circles, round and round for nothing.

So, if anyone out there reading this knows of someone who might be interested in an English major with a history minor who has a crapton o' library experience, give me chat. Meanwhile, screw it. I'm signing up with hubpages.

No comments:

Post a Comment